Service Learning refers to service activities which are part of a credit, certification, and in certain circumstances, part of non-credit learning programs. Service-learning involves participating in an instructional method through which citizenship, academic subjects, skills, and values are taught through research, the performance of service, and critical analysis and reflection on that service experience.
In previous years, Launch participants volunteered their services to Dubuque organizations such as:
- City of Dubuque Leisure Services which maintains and manages city parks and recreation areas
- Dubuque Arboretum & Botanical Gardens at Marshall Park, the only arboretum and botanical garden in the USA staffed entirely by volunteers
- Hillcrest Family Services Clinic
- Hope House, a transitional shelter for homeless women and children
- Mines of Spain, a nature preserve and interpretive area
- Dubuque Community Schools
- Dubuque Humane Society
- Four Mounds, a model of volunteerism and community partnering at its best, Four Mounds is a non-profit organization with a mission to preserve and educate
Service learning is connected with the fourth Loras College disposition: Responsible contributing.