THE LORAS COLLEGE PEACE INSTITUTE
July 23 – 26, 2018
We are in a unique stage in history where globalization is increasingly complex. Our neighbors are no longer simply people who live next door, but reach across the globe and whose lives and faith traditions often differ dramatically from our own. Differences have the capacity to divide, but they don’t have to. Our global realities paired with the divisions in our own country demand a new approach to forming future leaders. The Loras College Peace Institute is a three-day camp experience focused on teaching leadership and peace building skills to our youth.
This three-day camp experience led by Loras students, faculty, & staff, will enable students entering grades 9-12 to engage with peers from various religious, ethnic, racial and socioeconomic backgrounds. Through the use of innovative teaching methods, students will develop skills such as leadership agility in a changing society, inter-religious literacy, and the art of relationship building and repairing, as they work through concepts such as peace with self, peace with others, and peace with the world.
PEACE INSTITUTE APPLICATION
APPLY NOW for the Loras College Peace Institute! Join the inaugural class of peace leaders! We are accepting applications now. The 3 day, two night institute is $200 per accepted student which includes all meals, housing, activities and materials. We have several scholarships available! Submit your application today.
- Click the Apply Now! button below and submit the online application.
- Mini Essay: Email firstname.lastname@example.org a short paragraph or two summarizing why you are interested and would like to be selected for participation in the Loras College Peace Institute.
- Applications and essays must be received by [date TBA]. You will be notified of acceptance shortly after application and essay are reviewed.
If you know a developing leader who would benefit from the exclusive peace training of Loras College Peace Institute, please email email@example.com to nominate them. Scholarship opportunities are available.
PARTNER WITH US
Get Involved! Consider volunteering, donating, or sponsoring someone to attend. Your contribution will support our mission of equipping peace leaders throughout the tri-state area to have a lasting impact on their communities. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
To make an online donation to the Loras Peace Institute, please remember to type “Loras Peace Institute” in the designation field on our Give to Loras page for the funds to be directed exclusively for the Peace Institute. Click here to donate online!
Thank You to the following sponsors for supporting the Loras Peace Institute.
- Sisters of Saint Francis
- New Melleray Abbey
- Sisters of Charity, B.V.M.
- Sisters of the Presentation
- DACU – Dubuque Area Congregations United
- Sinsinawa Dominicans
We’ll explore concepts such as peace with self, peace with others, and peace with the world.
- Understanding our own story and storytelling workshop
- Meditation and mindfulness exercises
- Shalom walk (mines of spain, eagle point, swiss valley)
- Gifts/Strengths assessments, ennegram
- Non-violent Communication
- Restorative Justice/Peace circles
- Improv skits (humans of NY)
- Privilege walks, anti-racism training
- Soul Pancake productions (exercises) Ball pit
- Peace Heroes
- Specific conflicts/peace plan (case studies)
- Non-violent protest/march
- Conflict solving groups
- Gardening and natural world exercises
Peace Institute Application
Step 1: Fill out and submit the application Below.
Step 2: Email a one or two paragraph essay on why you’d like to attend the Loras Peace Institute. Email essay to Lindsay.James@loras.edu.
Questions? Contact Us