LORAS COLLEGE MISSION
Loras, as a Catholic liberal arts college, creates a community of active learners, reflective thinkers, ethical decision-makers and responsible contributors in diverse professional, social and religious roles.
Inspired by the Catholic intellectual tradition and rooted in the transformative power of learning, Loras enriches lives and serves humanity.
The Loras College community embraces core values that define the way we work, behave and relate with others.
- Truth: We are dedicated to the pursuit and communication of truth. We rely on the integrity of each individual to create a community that engages freely and creatively in the search for truth and grapples joyfully with intellectual and moral issues.
- Respect: We cherish and treat each person as an individual created in the image and likeness of God. We value the dignity, diversity and uniqueness of each person.
- Responsibility: Individuals are responsible for their own actions and for the common good.
- Excellence: We strive for excellence in teaching and in every other aspect of the Loras experience.
- Service: We encourage each member of the Loras community to serve others in an extraordinary way.
The longstanding motto of Loras College, Pro Deo et Patria [et Gentibus] – For God, Country [and World] succinctly states the purpose of the Loras community. Loras strives to foster a community of engaged citizens challenged to leave the college with a responsibility not only to themselves, but also to their faith, community, and the world. “Pro Deo et Patria” is not just a motto to be read nor a mantra to recite; it is a manner of living that is intended to be embraced and embodied.
- Active learners want to learn. They are curious about the world and seek to make sense of their experiences. Loras students demonstrate their ability to learn in active ways.
- Reflective thinkers display insight. They take into account their own dispositions and biases as they think creatively and critically. Loras students demonstrate their ability to think in a reflective manner.
- Ethical decision-makers discern religious, cultural and personal values in order to act with justice and compassion. Loras students demonstrate their ability to decide matters ethically.
- Responsible contributors to professions, societies and religious communities develop their talents and share them with others in ways that respect a global environment and are sensitive to cultural differences. Loras students demonstrate that they contribute in responsible ways.
Institutional Learning Outcomes [ILO]
- ILO #1: Students will think critically and creatively.
- ILO #2: Students will communicate ideas and information effectively to diverse audiences using a variety of methods.
- ILO #3: Students will demonstrate depth of knowledge in an academic discipline.
- ILO #4: Students will integrate knowledge from multiple disciplines and diverse experiences to comprehensively address complex issues and challenges.
- ILO #5: Students will thoughtfully examine their life’s purpose in relation to their personal talents and the needs of communities.
- ILO #6: Students will engage personal, professional, social, and global concerns with principled ethical judgments guided by reason, justice, and compassion.
- ILO #7: Students will apply knowledge of diverse contexts and cultural competencies to advance human dignity and serve the common good through inclusive and equitable communities.