IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO BECOME A DOCTOR
Some extremely bright and talented people finish their undergraduate degrees with majors in something outside of science and may even work for a few years before they finally recognize their inner calling to become a medical doctor. It's not too late!
"I chose the Loras postbaccalaureate program because of how responsive and helpful the faculty and admission staff were during the application process, and since arriving in Dubuque this support has only increased. I truly feel like I have my own personal team helping me accomplish my goal of getting into medical school. Additionally, coming into this program with an undergraduate degree in business and no science background, I am grateful for the small class sizes at Loras, which has allowed me to get to know my professors well. They are knowledgeable and invested in my success.” –Claire B.
IOWA'S ONLY CAREER-CHANGER POSTBACCALAUREATE PRE-MEDICAL/PRE-HEALTH PROGRAM
The Loras College Postbaccalaureate Pre-Medical/Pre-Health 12-month program is intended for individuals interested in changing their career to healthcare and who require the prerequisite courses to apply to one of the following professional schools: medicine, optometry, dentistry, podiatry, physical/occupational therapy, physician assistant, or veterinary medicine. Loras College has a rich liberal arts tradition and a strong history of educating students for various health care professions. We strive to develop active learners, reflective thinkers, ethical decision makers, and responsible contributors - all key attributes for success in your chosen career in medical/ health care and for a satisfying life. We are interested in people joining our pre-medical program for whom medicine will not be just a job, but rather the vocation they are choosing to use their talents to best serve humanity.
PREPARING FOR MEDICAL SCHOOL
The program is more than the courses you take with dedicated professors; you will be advised and guided by a dedicated pre-health advisor, prepare for the MCAT exam, observe and learn from doctors in hospitals and clinics, and receive a detailed committee letter of evaluation for your professional program of choice. Additional program benefits include:
- Personal advising from a program director who has a medical degree.
- 12-month program timeline for medical and dental school, plus most health-related professional schools.
- Priority class registration, small class sizes, and a beautiful Midwest location.
- Assistance finding shadowing, research, and other related opportunities.
- Opportunity to take an anatomy class with human cadavers.
- Application guidance to health-related professional schools, including personal statement guidance and interviewing practice.
- Admission test guidance for health-related professional schools.
- Committee letter of evaluation.
- Competitive tuition and financial aid options available.
Loras College is pleased to offer an opportunity for prospective Postbac Pre-Med/Pre-Health students to enjoy a casual, one-on-one Zoom conversation with the Program Director to learn more about the curriculum, research opportunities, outcomes, and much more, and get a true sense of what the program is like from an individual you will be working closely with.