IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO BECOME A DOCTOR
Some extremely bright and talented people finish their undergraduate degrees with majors in something outside of science and may even work for a few years before they finally recognize their inner calling to become a medical doctor. If you recognize yourself in that statement it is not too late to realize your dream!
The Loras College Postbaccalaureate Premedical Program is intended for individuals interested in changing their career to healthcare and who require the prerequisite courses to apply to one of the following professional schools: medicine, optometry, dentistry, podiatry, physical/occupational therapy, physician assistant, or veterinary medicine.
I chose Loras’s Postbaccalaureate Premedical program because of how responsive and helpful the faculty and admission staff were during the application process, and since arriving in Dubuque this support has only increased. I truly feel like I have my own personal team helping me accomplish my goal of getting into medical school. Additionally, coming into this program with an undergraduate degree in business and no science background, I am grateful for the small class sizes at Loras, which has allowed me to get to know my professors well. They are knowledgeable and invested in my success.”–Claire B.
Iowa's only Career-changer Postbaccalaureate Pre-Medical / Pre-Health Program
The Loras College Postbaccalaureate Pre-medical /Pre-health Program offers a 12-month intensive program to complete the classes commonly required for entrance to medical and dental chool and covers the prerequisites for most admissions for other health professional schools. The program is more than the courses you take with dedicated professors; in this intensive program you will be advised and guided by a dedicated pre-health advisor, intensely prepare for the MCAT exam, observe and learn from doctors in hospitals and clinics, and receive a detailed committee letter of evaluation for your professional program of choice.
Loras College has a rich liberal arts tradition and a strong history of educating students for various health care professions. We strive to develop active learners, reflective thinkers, ethical decision makers, and responsible contributors - all key attributes for success in your chosen career in medical/ health care and for a satisfying life. We are interested in people joining our premedical program for whom medicine will not be just a job, but rather the vocation they are choosing to use their talents to best serve humanity.
- 12-month program timeline for medical and dental school, and most health-related professional schools. Alternatively, work with the Program Director to deisgn an individual plan to complete prerequisite course depending on your professional program of choice and in the time frame frame that works for you.
- Personal advising from the Program Director and faculty teaching in teh program. Small program size so we are able to provide personalized attention to all students in the program.
- Priority class registration.
- Small class size.
- Assistance finding shadowing, research and other related opportunities.
- Opportunity to take an anatomy class with human cadavers
- Regular postbaccalaureate seminar.
- Application guidance, including personal statement guidance and interviewing practice.
- Admission test guidance.
- Committee letter of evaluation for medical school or professional program of choice.
- Beautiful Midwest location.
- Reasonable tuition.
- Financial aid options may be available.
Collaborative, Experiential Learning
Class sizes are small, and faculty are innovative, supportive teachers - guiding students in collaborative learning. All classes and laboratory sections are taught by professors with PhDs, not teaching assistants. Faculty lead research groups and incorporate new research developments into their classes.
Affordable, Nationally Recognized
Housed on a safe, scenic campus nestled high atop the majestic bluffs of the Mississippi River in Dubuque, Iowa, Loras College, founded in 1839 is proud to be Iowa's oldest college. Dubuque is an affordable, civically engaged, nationally recognized city making it a wonderful place to live. Learn more at traveldubuque.com.
Loras College Student
Loras provides postbaccalaureate premedical students with all the same benefits as Loras science students: laptops and technology assistance, integrated labs, study abroad, athletic and wellness center access, extracurricular and spiritual life opportunities, and much more. Housing is available.