Office of the Registrar

Maintaining the integrity and confidentiality of official permanent academic records.

The Loras Registrar’s office assist students with course registration, maintenance and protection of academic records, transcripts, registration, transfer credits, graduation requirements, degree audits, and more.

Academic Calendars

Textbook Information is available through Loras College Barnes and Noble Bookstore

Academic Calendar 2021-22
Academic Calendar 2022-23
Academic Calendar 2023-24

Loras College Registrar
Keane Hall Room  121
Dubuque, IA 52001

Course Listings / Schedules
Institut Catholique d'Etudes Supérieures (ICES )

Loras College, in cooperation with the Institut Catholique d’Etudes Superieures (ICES) offers the opportunity for the advanced study of Politics on the Loras campus for ICES students.

Interested ICES students may complete the application below and email

ICES Application


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a postsecondary institution. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day Loras College receives a request for access. A student should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect. The school official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the school official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA. A student who wishes to ask the school to amend a record should write the school official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the school decides not to amend the record as requested, the school will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to provide written consent before the university discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. The school discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by Loras College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of Loras College who performs an institutional service of function for which the school would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the school with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for Loras College.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Loras College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202

FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in §99.31 of the FERPA regulations. Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, §99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures. A postsecondary institution may disclose PII from the education records without obtaining prior written consent of the student to the following individuals and in the following circumstances:

  • To other school officials, including teachers, within Loras College whom the school has determined to have legitimate educational interests. This includes contractors, consultants, volunteers, or other parties to whom the school has outsourced institutional services or functions, provided that the conditions listed in §99.31(a)(1)(i)(B)(1) – (a)(1)(i)(B)(2) are met. (§99.31(a)(1))
  • To officials of another school where the student seeks or intends to enroll, or where the student is already enrolled if the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer, subject to the requirements of §99.34. (§99.31(a)(2))
  • To authorized representatives of the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local educational authorities, 21such as a state postsecondary authority that is responsible for supervising the university’s state-supported education programs. Disclosures under this provision may be made, subject to the requirements of §99.35, in connection with an audit or evaluation of federal -or state – supported education programs, or for the enforcement of or compliance with federal legal  requirements that relate to those programs. These entities may make further disclosures
    of PII to outside entities that are designated by them as their authorized representatives to conduct any audit, evaluation, or enforcement or compliance activity on their behalf. (§§99.31(a)(3) and 99.35)
  • In connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or which the student has received, if the information is necessary to determine eligibility for the aid, determine the amount of the aid,  determine the conditions of the aid, or enforce the terms and conditions of the aid. (§99.31(a)(4))
  • To organizations conducting studies for, or on behalf of, the school, in order to: (a) develop, validate, or administer predictive tests; (b) administer student aid programs; or (c) improve instruction. (§99.31(a)(6))
  • To accrediting organizations to carry out their accrediting functions. ((§99.31(a)(7))
  • To parents of an eligible student if the student is a dependent for IRS tax purposes. (§99.31(a)(8))
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena. (§99.31(a)(9))
  • To appropriate officials in connection with a health or safety emergency, subject to §99.36. (§99.31(a)(10))
  • Information the Loras College has designated as “directory information” under §99.37. (§99.31(a)(11)) include the following:
    a. Name
    b. Local address
    c. Honors and awards
    d. Email address
    e. Birthdate (month only)
    f. Major fields of study
    g. Last date of attendance
    h. Current academic classification
    i. Enrollment status
    j. Recognized activities or sports
    k. Participation in officially recognized organizations, activities and sports
    l. Weight and height of student participating in officially recognized sports
    m. Damage charges and costs
  • To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense, subject to the requirements of §99.39. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding.  (§99.31(a)(13))
  • To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, subject to the requirements of §99.39, if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her. (§99.31(a)(14))
  • To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any federal, state, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21. (§99.31(a)(15))

FERPA Contacts

Student Academic Records – Loras College Registrar,

Student Development Records – Dr. Arthur W. Sunleaf, Vice President for Student Development,

Second Degree Students

All application materials must be on file in the Registrar’s Office at least 10 business days prior to the start of the term to be considered for admission for that term.

Second Degree Students

A student who possesses a bachelor’s degree from another accredited institution and wishes to enroll at Loras to pursue an additional degree may seek admission as a Second Degree Student. Loras College graduates are only eligible to pursue a second bachelor’s degree in a discipline other than the original degree (i.e., if a Loras graduate holds a B.A., they may not pursue another B.A. from Loras, only a B.S.).

A holder of a B.A. or B.S. degree from another accredited institution is considered to have satisfied all the Loras general education requirements.

Second Degree students must submit the following application materials to the Registrar’s Office:

  1. A completed Loras College Second Degree Application
  2. An official transcript from each institution attended
  3. $25.00 application fee

Submit application materials to the Registrar’s Office

  1. In person: Room 121 Keane Hall, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  2. By mail: Registrar’s Office, Mail #1, Loras College, 1450 Alta Vista Street, Dubuque, IA  52001

Second Degree requirements:

  1. Be admitted to Loras College
  2. Earn at least 30 credit hours in residence at Loras College
  3. Fulfill all of the requirements for the major.  If previous courses satisfy some of the major requirements, the division will designate courses from other areas that will enhance the major.

Second Degree Application Form

Questions?  Email or call 563.588.7779.

Special Students

Undergraduate Courses

A student who is not pursuing a bachelor’s degree from Loras College, but would like to enroll in up to 11 credits per semester is considered a special student. This status includes:

  1. those who have not earned a bachelor’s degree who wish to take courses for personal enrichment;
  2. those who regularly attend another college or university and wish to earn credit for transfer back to the home institution;
  3. those who have received a bachelor’s degree and wish to earn additional undergraduate credit.

Special students must submit the following materials to the Loas College Registrar’s Office:

Any special student who has not completed a bachelor’s degree and wishes to continue at Loras beyond one summer session or one semester must contact an Admission Counselor for additional details.

Participation in the January term is generally limited to Loras College students who are enrolled in a degree program. Students who are attending another college who wish to enroll in a January term course must receive permission from the Loras Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs. As part of this process, the student must submit an official transcript. Non-Loras students participating in a January term course will be charged the current part-time student tuition rate and all fees associated with the course.

A special student who is pursuing coursework beyond the bachelor’s degree has no restrictions on the number of credits in which he/she may enroll. A special student should contact the Financial Planning Office concerning financial aid options

Special students participating in the January term are subject to the Loras College academic, financial, and non-academic rules and regulations

Graduate Courses

Individuals interested in taking a few graduate courses for professional development, continuing education credits, or just personal enrichment may take up to 9 graduate credits as a non-degree special student. Special students may not enroll in practicum, clinical, or internship courses without approval from the program director.

To enroll in an individual course(s) as a special student:

  1. Complete the free Loras College Special Course Application.
    1. Select Graduate Course as the course registration type.
    2. Upload copies of your unofficial transcript(s) from each college/university attended.
  2. The transcripts will be evaluated to ensure any pre-requisite course requirements have been met.
  3. After review of the transcript(s), you will be contacted with detailed information on next steps.

Please note:

  • Degree-seeking students have registration preference if a course is full.
  • After the completion of 9 non-degree credits, a student must then apply for formal admission to take additional courses.
  • Graduate courses completed by a special student with a grade of B or better may be applied to a future graduate degree at Loras College with the approval of both the program director and the academic dean.
  • Financial aid is generally not available to non-degree special students.
  • Students interested in Professional and Continuing Education program opportunities should refer to the individual program for application and enrollment instructions.
Returning Students

Any previously enrolled student wishing to return to Loras to complete his/her bachelor’s degree and who has not been a full-time student for more than one semester must apply for readmission. Students participating in a Loras approved foreign study semester are not required to apply for readmission.

All application materials must be on file in the Registrar’s Office at least 10 business days prior to the start of the term to be considered for readmission for that term.

Returning students must submit the following materials to the Registrar’s Office:

  1. A completed Loras College Application for Readmission
  2. An official academic transcript(s) from each college/university attended since withdrawal from Loras
  3. Personal statement addressing the reasons for seeking readmission

Materials may be submitted in person or by mail:

  1. In person: Registrar’s Office, Room 121 Keane Hall, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  2. By mail: Registrar’s Office, Mail #1, Loras College, 1450 Alta Vista Street, Dubuque, IA  52001

Returning student applications will be considered by the Admissions Committee when appropriate. Previous admission is not a guarantee of readmission. In select cases, the student may be asked to provide additional information or to schedule a personal interview.

Questions?  Call 563.588.7779 or email

Transfer Credit Policy

Transfer Credit Search

Our Transfer Credit Search will give you an idea if your college credits will transfer to Loras College. All courses may not be listed within the transfer search tool. Evaluations for transfer courses not found or special circumstances, can be discussed with your admission representative.

Transfer Credit Policy

Loras College accepts collegiate-level, academic coursework from regionally accredited colleges and universities. “Regionally accredited” refers to the Higher Learning Commission or other similar federally recognized regional accrediting agencies. Transfer credit is accepted as equivalent coursework based on the credit value of the Loras course, not the credit value of a previous post-secondary institution.

An “official transcript” should be understood to be a transcript printed on specially prepared paper, sent in a sealed envelope. Students who have completed coursework at another institution should contact each previous school’s Office of the Registrar to have an official transcript sent to:

Loras College Office of the Registrar
Mail #1
1450 Alta Vista Street
Dubuque, IA 52001

Loras College also accepts electronic copies sent through a secure server. To be regarded as official an electronically transmitted transcript must be from the original sending institution, or a verifiable third party vendor such as Avow, Script Safe, Speedy EDI or other recognized vendor. Since electronic transcripts are not considered official once printed, the printed copy must be accompanied by a copy of the email from the sending institution with annotation of verification or from the third part vendor with the login and password for retrieval of the transcript. The designated person in admission who is trained in identifying official transcripts will print off both the email and the transcript, verify as official, initial and date the documents.

Electronic transcripts NOT processed in this manner will not be regarded as official. Electronic copies may be sent to:

Once the transcript is received, it will be evaluated to determine which courses will transfer. The transcript(s) should be provided prior to the beginning of the student’s first semester at Loras. Failure to provide the transcript(s) by the beginning of the student’s first term may result in denial of transfer credit and/or a hold on registration for future terms. Transfer applicants who have completed or supplied all expected paperwork are eligible to receive a continuing student registration permit for priority registration.


Required grades for transfer credit
Only collegiate-level, academic coursework with a final grade of “C” or better will be considered for transfer credit. A course with a grade of “P” or “S” may be awarded transfer credit at the discretion of the Office of the Registrar. A course will be considered for transfer credit only if content was similar to a Loras College course. Transfer credit taken ten (10) years or more prior to admission will generally not be accepted. Exceptions to the age of the credits will be reviewed on an individual basis by the Registrar office and Academic Dean.

Maximum transfer credit awarded
A maximum of 64 credits from a community college/junior college/two-year college and/or examination credit may be awarded toward the total number of hours needed for graduation. A maximum of 90 credits from a four-year institution may be awarded toward the total number of hours needed for graduation. A maximum of 90 credits from two-year and four-year institutions combined may be awarded toward the total number of hours needed for graduation (not to exceed the previous stated maximums). The Office of the Registrar reserves the right to determine the total number of credits to be awarded for each transfer course. A maximum of 30 exam credits may be accepted towards completion of a baccalaureate degree.

Transfer credit on the Loras College transcript
Courses awarded transfer credit will be indicated on the Loras College transcript by the name of the College attended and the total number of credits accepted for transfer. Transfer courses are not calculated into the Loras College grade point average.

If a student completes a course at Loras College that had previously been awarded transfer credit from another institution, the transferred course will be removed from the transcript and the student will only receive credit for the Loras course.

Coursework not awarded transfer credit
Non-collegiate level coursework that was intended to be a review of secondary material (for example, but not limited to, English, mathematics or reading enrichment courses), credit awarded for intercollegiate athletic participation, physical education activity courses, and continuing education units (CEU’s) will not be awarded transfer credit. In general, vocational technical training is not eligible for transfer credit. Military Occupational Specialty courses are evaluated on a case-by-case basis using ACEapproved JST military transcripts. Coursework that is found to be similar in content to Loras College courses may be awarded transfer credit.

Coursework that may be awarded transfer credit
Credit awarded for internship, practicum, or field experience completed at institutions other than Loras may be awarded transfer credit at the discretion of the Office of the Registrar and the academic division which corresponds to the coursework. Similarly, applied technical coursework completed at a regionally accredited institution may also be awarded transfer credit at the discretion of the aforementioned offices.

Current students seeking credit on another campus
Any matriculated Loras student wishing to transfer in course credit from another institution must obtain the permission of the appropriate division chairperson and the Office of the Registrar prior to enrollment in that course. Students may seek approval to take a course on another campus other than Clarke University or University of Dubuque by completing the online form found on the IQ Main Page (Request to Take a Course on Another Campus). The student must submit the official transcript to the Office of the Registrar within six months of completion of the course in order to have the course considered for transfer credit. Failure to make a formal request and provide the transcript(s) by the stated time limits may result in denial of transfer credit.

If a Loras student has received a passing grade in a required course for his/her major but has not met the specific grade requirement in the course for the major, the student must seek prior written approval from the Division Chairperson to complete this course at another institution to demonstrate content competency and fulfill this requirement of the major. The original course taken at Loras College, however, will remain on the student’s transcript and the course taken at another institution will not be transferred for credits toward the degree.

It is the student’s responsibility to provide official transcripts within the stated time limits in order to ensure that his/her transfer credit is evaluated and appropriate academic advising can take place. It is also the student’s responsibility to confirm that transfer credit has been transferred to the Loras College transcript. Students are encouraged to check their online transcript to verify that the transfer credit has been awarded. It is also the student’s responsibility to provide a course description, syllabus and examples of coursework to the Office of the Registrar to assist in determining if a course is transferable.

Please note – The last thirty of forty credits earned towards a Loras College degree must be completed through Loras.

If, upon review of the official transfer equivalency form, an accepted student disagrees with the equivalency decision, that student may appeal the decision by following the instructions below:

  1. The student must arrange for the course syllabus to be sent to the Office of the Registrar.
  2. The Registrar will work with the appropriate faculty to determine
    1. if the original decision is accurate and
    2. why the decision either is or is not accurate.
  3. If the original decision is accurate, the student will be notified that no change to their transfer equivalency decision has been made.
  4. If the original decision is inaccurate,the student’s record will be updated to reflect the updated decision and the student will be informed of the update.

If any change to the student’s transferred equivalencies results in duplication of credit, the transfer credit is forfeited.

Special Procedures for International Credit
International credit must be evaluated by an independent evaluation service (with the exception of credit that was earned through an approved study abroad experience) and a course-by-course evaluation must be submitted in order to be considered. Courses that are found to be similar in content to Loras College courses may be awarded transfer credit. Students seeking to transfer international credit should consult with the Office of Intercultural Programs to determine an appropriate independent evaluation service provider.

Examination Credit

Advanced Placement (AP) credit earned through the College Entrance Examination Board will be awarded appropriate transfer credit for scores according to the list below. In the situation where the student has been awarded college credit and AP exam credit for the same course content, transfer credit will be awarded only for the AP exam. Please note that AP exam results must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar directly from the College Board. Students should contact the College Board to have exam score results sent in the same way as post-secondary transcripts.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Credit earned through the College Entrance Examination Board will be awarded appropriate transfer credit for achieving a minimum qualifying score. Students seeking CLEP credit should consult with the Office of the Registrar about the minimum qualifying score for individual CLEP examinations. A list of exams offered by CLEP can be found at

International Baccalaureate

Credit earned through the Higher Level Examinations of the International Baccalaureate Program will be awarded appropriate transfer credit for a minimum score of six (6).

Cambridge International Examination

Credit earned through the Cambridge Assessment will be awarded appropriate transfer credit for a passing score of “A”, “B”, “C”, “D”, or “E” on “AS” or “A” level examinations.

Graduate Studies Transfer of Credit Policy

Loras College will consider transfer credit for graduate-level courses taken at a regionally accredited college or university. No grade below B- will be accepted. The credits must be applicable to the specific graduate program in which the student is enrolled. Students will not be allowed to transfer courses related to practicum, internship, clinical or a thesis. The graduate-level credit must have been earned within ten (10) years prior to admission to the graduate program. Students who request transfer credit must also consult the specific requirements for the program they are pursuing.

View Graduate Transfer Credit Policy

Request a Transcript

Ordering Online

Loras College and National Student Clearinghouse have partnered to provide students and alumni with access to an online transcript ordering system through a secure website called


When ordering online, transcripts can be sent by one of the following methods:

  • Electronic PDF
    This option delivers the official transcript within minutes after processing for transcript requests submitted between 8:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. (CST), Monday through Friday. The official transcript is formatted as a PDF, and is digitally signed, ensuring authenticity and security. The National Student Clearinghouse then emails the recipient a link to retrieve the transcript and then sends a second email with a password to complete the download.  The cost to send an electronic transcript is $13.00 ($10.00 per transcript, plus service fee of $3.00).
  • ETX (Electronic Transcript Exchange)
    This option delivers an official transcript to the school of your choice, by placing it directly into the receiving school’s password protected mailbox that they have set up with the National Student Clearinghouse.  The transcript is official and is digitally signed, ensuring authenticity and security.  The cost to send an electronic transcript is $12.25 ($10.00 per transcript, plus service fee of $2.25).
  • Printed and sent by U.S. mail
    With this option, requests are usually processed and mailed in 1-2 business days.  The cost is $12.25 ($10.00 per transcript, plus service fees of $2.25).
  • Printed and sent by Federal Express
    In order to ensure overnight service, the request must be made by 1:00 p.m. Central Standard Time.  The cost is $52.25 ($10.00 per transcript, plus $42.25 for express shipping). FEDEX WILL NOT SHIP TO POST OFFICE BOXES.

By Mail

To request a transcript by U.S. mail, send a signed request and enclose a check or money order in the amount of $10 for each transcript requested.  Please include the following information on the transcript request or download and complete the Transcript-Request-Form.

  • Your Name printed or typed. Indicate any other names or spellings of your name that you may have used while a student at Loras College.
  • Your Signature. We cannot process your order without your original written signature.  A computer generated signature cannot be accepted.
  • The approximate dates you attended Loras College.
  • The last 4 digits of your social security number or your 6-digit Loras College ID number, if available.
  • Your current home mailing address, telephone number or email address so we can contact you if there are problems processing your order.
  • The address(es) where each copy of your transcript is to be sent.
  • Enclose payment (check or money order) payable to Loras College in the amount of $10.00 for each transcript ordered.  If you wish your transcripts sent by Federal Express, remember to include the FedEx charge of $40.00 in addition to the transcript fee of $10.00.

In Person

Transcripts can be requested in the Registrar’s Office, Room 121 Keane Hall, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Transcripts are $10 per copy.

Additionally, please note:

  • We cannot accept transcript requests over the telephone or by email.
  • We are unable to process your transcript request if you have an outstanding balance due to Loras College.
    Please contact Carrie Jones, Director of Student Accounts, at 563.588.7232 for information related to your student account.

My registration is blocked. Why?
Answer: Your registration may be blocked if you fail to meet an obligation to the College. This includes, but is not limited to, failure to pay registration/tuition fees or other outstanding debts, as well as failure to submit requested documentation to certain offices (i.e. Health Services). If you have a financial block you need to contact the Loras College Business Office (563.588.7335) to get this hold resolved. No transcript requests will be processed until the hold is cleared.

Where can I check if a class still has open seats?
You will need to view the online complete schedule of classes, for the term in question. It will allow you see the course seat capacity, as well as the number of available seats. The schedule also includes a column to indicate whether a waitlist is active. The schedule can be found on the IQ main-page, under the designated term information.

I’m a U.S. Armed Services Veteran or Service Member. Where do I go to apply for benefits?
Your VA School Certifying Official is your point of contact for any questions you might have about applying your educational benefits to the cost of attendance at Loras College. Please see the following for a list of what veterans generally need to provide:

  1. Veteran’s certification worksheet – See our veterans veterans educational benefits
  2. Copy of veteran’s discharge paperwork (DD-214)
  3. Official (sealed or secure digital) copy of veteran’s American Council on Education (ACE) certified transcript for any military training: (for Air Force, use this link:
  4. Current Certificate of Eligibility (COE), received after a veteran applies for benefits on the GI Bill website:

For transfer students, we would require all the above, in addition to the following:
Official transcript(s) from any former institution of higher learning, or record of exam credits from Advanced Placement course work, CLEP exams, DANTES exams, etc. Copy of the veteran’s VA 22-1995 Request For Change of Program or Place of Training (

PLEASE NOTE: If you are the recipient of transferred benefits from a spouse or parent, the transfer needs to transfer the benefits on the GI Bill website ( before you can apply for the transferred benefit.

How do I get my final grades?
Students should log into their IQ to view their grades, via the Academic Profile Menu. Under the Academic Profile Menu students will be able to view current grades as well as have access to an unofficial transcript. Students who need a written confirmation of their grades can copy and paste their unofficial transcript from their web-advisor. For instructions on how to order an official transcript, visit

How do I show proof of graduation before degrees are officially approved and posted to the transcript?
You can request a Verification of Completion Letter from the Registrar’s Office. You can either request this in-person by showing a valid photo id, or request this via mail by providing us with a written request. This written request must include your name, birth date, id number or last four of your SSN, mailing address and your signature. We cannot accept this request over the phone. You may also fax us the written request to 563.588.7779, or email it to The mailing address for the Registrar’s Office at Loras College is, 1450 Alta Vista St. Mailbox#1, Dubuque, IA 52001. There is no cost for this letter of verification.

I just graduated. When and how will I get my diploma?
There is a 2-3 month waiting period after completion. This enables the Office of the Registrar to post grades and verify majors/minors as dictated by the college. Diplomas are automatically mailed to the mailing address supplied to the college on your application. You must remember, just because you have participated in commencement, does not mean you have officially graduated.

I need to get official verification of my student status. Where do I go?
In general, students who need verification of their enrollment have a specific need for an official signature and/or school seal. That can be obtained by going to the Registrar’s Office in-person, or by written request. This written request must include your name, birth date, id number or last four of your SSN, mailing address and your signature. We cannot accept this request over the phone.

You may also fax us the written request to 563.588.7779, or email it to The mailing address for the Registrar’s Office at Loras College is, 1450 Alta Vista St. Mailbox#1, Dubuque, IA 52001. This is provided to current and former students at no cost.

What is the Office of the Registrar’s policy on release and disclosure of student records?
Under the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 and provisions of state law relating to public records disclosure, the Loras College Policies Applying to the Disclosure of Information from Student Records and the Loras Campus’ implementation of that policy assure Loras students the following rights:

  1. To inspect and review their student records.
  2. To have withheld from public disclosure, absent their prior consent, personally identifiable information from their student records.
  3. To inspect records maintained by Campus offices concerning disclosure of confidential information from their student records.
  4. To seek corrections of their records through a request to amend the records, or a request for a hearing to challenge the content of their records, or to include a written statement therein.
  5. To file complaints with the Office of the Chancellor or with the U.S. Department of Education regarding violations of the rights accorded by Federal law or University policy.

FERPA permits the disclosure of PII from students’ education records, without consent of the student, if the disclosure meets certain conditions found in §99.31 of the FERPA regulations. Except for disclosures to school officials, disclosures related to some judicial orders or lawfully issued subpoenas, disclosures of directory information, and disclosures to the student, §99.32 of FERPA regulations requires the institution to record the disclosure. Eligible students have a right to inspect and review the record of disclosures.

How do I change my anticipated graduation date?
You are able to change your graduation date by simply informing the Registrar’s Office of the change. Please email your request to, stating the reason for the change, as well as verification of student information. This request may also be done in person at Keane Hall, Room 121. You may only change your graduation date one semester. If you have already made this change and need to push forward you graduation date again you MUST re-apply.

When must coursework be completed to replace a grade of “incomplete” from the previous semester?
The incomplete work must be completed and submitted to the instructor and a permanent grade recorded by midterm of the next semester of the college calendar. If a grade of Incomplete is given during the January term, the work must be completed by midterm of the subsequent spring semester. If the student misses critical experiences of the January term course due to circumstances beyond his/her control, the student will receive a grade of “W” (withdraw) for the course. If the Incomplete grade is not replaced by a permanent grade by this date, the “I” grade is replaced by the “F” (fail) grade.

If a student is awarded an “F” grade because the instructor did not submit a final grade by midterm, the instructor has until the last official day of the semester to change the grade. After the final day of the semester, the “F” grade becomes a permanent grade and cannot be changed without a formal appeal. An instructor may recommend to the Registrar’s Office an extension of the midterm deadline in cases of special hardship.

If I’m an incoming student how may I receive credit for a college-level course from anther institution?
College-level coursework that is comparable to the Loras College curriculum requirements and in which a minimum grade of “C” was earned is transferable to Loras (see Transfer Credit Policy for more detail). Students who do not meet the minimum transfer requirements may be reviewed by the Admission Standards Committee on an individual basis.

The transfer applicant must submit Official academic transcript(s) from each college/university attended. It should be noted that transfer students who do not submit all official transcripts will be blocked from registering for their second term until such time as official transcripts are received. Transfer applicants will receive an official credit evaluation of previous college coursework at the time of acceptance. They may receive an unofficial credit evaluation upon request. Students should contact their Admissions Representative for more information.

How do I make a change of address?
It is the responsibility of the student to update or correct their address information through the Registrar’s Office. Every student must have a permanent address on file. You can make a change of address by visiting the Registrars Office and providing a photo ID. This request can also be made by sending the Registrar an email at, with the updated address, from your current Loras email account.

May I still participate in commencement even though I won’t be finished with my program?
Yes, you may still participate in commencement, even if you are not completed with your program of study. Considering we only have one commencement a year, it is not uncommon for students to participate early, regardless of completion date. When applying for graduation, you will be asked the date of commencement as well as anticipated degree completion date.

When can I register for classes via web-advisor?
Each student is sent a specific registration time/date, via their Loras e-mail. This time is determined by the total number of completed credits at the time the permit is generated. This does not count the current credits in-progress. Make sure to check your spam folder if you cannot locate your permit in your e-mail inbox.

I need to withdraw from school, who do I contact?
This process begins with the Academic Success and Retention Coordinator,  located in the Academic Resource Center, Room 135. 563.588.7639.

A course I need to take is offered at Clarke University or University of Dubuque, how do I register?
These schools are part of the the Tri-college experience offered to Loras students. This means you may take a course at either of these institutions as if you were taking it in residence at Loras College. Financial Aid from Loras may be distributed towards these courses off campus. This course will count towards your current GPA at Loras College. To register for one of these courses, you must logon the institution’s website and access their current course schedule for the semester you want to attend. Once you have found the course you want to take, complete the online form located on the IQ main page under Academic forms.

After the online form has been submitted to the Office of the Registrar, we will work with the partnered university to place you in your requested course. If successful, the course will appear on your Loras schedule. Unsuccessful requests will result in a notification e-mail to the student. If there are scheduling conflicts on your Loras schedule, you will receive an e-mail requesting confirmation of your preferred course.

The online schedule shows there are seats available for registration, but when I attempt to register it still shows a wait-list. Why?
There may indeed be seats available, however those seats are reserved for students atop the current wait-list for the course. You can see on the current schedule if there is a wait-list active for each offered course.

I am on a wait-list for a course I want, how will I know when I can get in or not?
Every Monday and Thursday morning, the Registrar’s Office runs the wait-list report that provides access to self-registration for those atop the wait-list for courses that have available seats. Students will be provided this registration permit through their Loras e-mail. Students are encouraged to check their e-mail frequently on these days to ensure their registration for the wait-listed course. If you do not respond to the e-mail, then your registration for this class will expire and the next person atop the wait-list will have the option to register for the course. Remember to check your email spam folder as well as your inbox for this registration permit.

How do I drop a course?
Students can drop a course online by filling out the “Drop Form,” located on the IQ main-page. This form sends an email to the Registrar’s Office notifying that a student wishes to drop a course. Students may also drop a course by visiting the Registrar’s Office (Keane Hall, Room 121) and completing the course drop form. Students who wish to drop a course in person must provide a photo ID for verification.

How do I declare a major or minor?
Students can declare a major or minor by accessing the accurate form listed on the IQ Main Page, under Academic Forms. Make sure if you are declaring a second major to state that the second major is in addition to your first major. This option is available within the Declaration of Major Form itself.

How do I know if I need to apply for readmission?
If a student has not taken at least one credit in the past two semesters, then the student must formally reapply to Loras as a Returning Student. Students who have been gone for only one term may contact their previous advisor to register for classes.

If I’m a current student how may I receive credit for a college-level course from other institutions?
Loras College understands that you may find it necessary to explore taking some coursework off-campus during at some point in your time here. If you wish to do so, please remember to submit a request to take a course off-campus on your Portal IQ Main Page. Failure to do so may result in rejection of transfer credit. A completed and approved Course Substitution Form may be required for the course to be counted during your program completion audit, which takes place upon your declaration of your intent to graduate.

Transfer Credits

View standing equivalencies for some of the most commonly transferring source institutions.

Explore Transfer Credit

Transcript Request

An online transcript ordering system

Order Transcript

Questions? Let’s get in touch.

If you have a question, then we have an answer. Please reach out to the phone number or email address below so our amazing staff may assist you.

Office of the Registrar
121 Keane Hall
1450 Alta Vista Street
Dubuque, Iowa 52001 
Phone: 563.588.7779
Fax: 563.588.4962


Christopher Feit
223 Kean Hall
Forward Transcripts to:
Loras College
1450 Alta Vista Street
Mailbox #1
Dubuque, Iowa 52001
Travis Olson
Assistant Registrar
121 Keane Hall
Scott Stran
Associate Registrar
121 Keane Hall