The Breitbach Catholic Thinkers & Leaders Program is a unique and vibrant four-year experience. Its goal is to challenge and engage the whole student – academically, spiritually, personally and socially – while learning what it means to be a Catholic thinker and leader in today’s world.
Made possible by a generous $15-million donation from Paul (’60) and Frances Breitbach, students have made a big impact at Loras and beyond since the first class of Breitbach scholars entered in the fall of 2007. The program intends to put Catholic teachings into action, and invites up to 15 students to join its ranks each year.
The Breitbach Catholic Thinkers & Leaders Program is comprised of 60 students engaging in academic work and servant leadership. As students learn and grow they are encouraged to discover how they can meet the needs of the church and world through sharing their own talents.
Breitbach students take several courses together—including an Italy J-term paid for by the program—and earn a Catholic Studies minor. They pursue a variety of majors while participating in activities ranging from athletics to music to student government.
Through the program, students attend monthly dinners with speakers on faith and leadership, plan and attend retreats and events, and serve the community. One of the best parts of the Breitbach program is the strong community of students who support and challenge each other to grow as faithful and reflective leaders during their four years at Loras College.
- Students receive a $4,000 annual scholarship in addition to their acceptance award*
- Travel to Italy for a January Term course – with all course fees paid
- Selected applicants will be invited to an on-campus interview in February, with acceptances to the program announced later in the month
- Applicants who complete the interview process, however are not chosen for the program, will receive a $1,000 one time award in their first year
*Breitbach participants are not eligible for additional stackable, merit awards from the College
Criteria to Qualify
- Apply and be admitted to Loras College
- Students must be Roman Catholic to apply
- Submit the Breitbach Catholic Thinkers & Leaders Program application and all supporting materials by December 14
Applying for the Breitbach Catholic Thinkers and Leaders Program
- Students must apply and be accepted to Loras College in order for your scholarship application to the Breitbach program to be considered.
- Students must be Roman Catholic to apply.
- Students must complete the FAFSA and have the results sent to Loras College (Code 001873)
- Students must complete the Breitbach Catholic Thinkers and Leaders scholarship application and all supporting materials by December 15.
The scholarship application includes:
- Online scholarship application (see button below).
- Email email@example.com an essay of roughly 1,000 word essay thoughtfully answering the following questions: How have faith, learning, and leadership been connected in your life so far? How do you plan to continue to grow as a Catholic thinker and leader?
- A completed copy of your activities resume.
- 2 recommendations (from non-family members) who can speak to your faith commitment and leadership qualities. upload link available through the application.
Login and password required for scholarship application.
If you do not have a Loras login, please contact your admission representative or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Let’s get in touch.
Feel free to contact your admission representative for additional information or contact Dr. Amanda Osheim using the email or phone number below.
Dr. Amanda Osheim