Supporting First-Generation College Students
At Loras College we define first-generation college students as any student that will be the first in their family to complete a 4-year degree. First-generation college students have parents/guardians that have not completed a 4-year degree. This program was created because we understand the difficulties that first-generation college students and families face.
The First-Generation Scholars Program (FGSP) at Loras College offers a scholarship up to $1,500 and strives to support first-generation college students and their families through engagement, communication, study skills, and experiential opportunities. By creating a supportive infrastructure for students and their families, the First-Generation Scholars Program aims to enhance participating students’ overall college experience and to support them in achieving their goal of being the first in their family to complete a college degree.
- Peer and professional mentorship program.
- Professional career preparation and job-readiness development opportunities.
- Professional financial planning development opportunities.
- Cohort model is used to encourage meaningful connections among first-generation students.
- Receive up to a $1,500 annual scholarship based on financial need. (Awards are renewable with continued program participation and academic requirements met).
- Full in-person participation available beginning in Fall August 2021.
Criteria to Qualify
- Apply and be admitted to Loras College.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and add Loras College using the school’s code: 001873.
- Neither parent/guardian have completed a 4-year college degree.
- Submit the First Generation Scholars Program application and supporting materials. (see application process below)
To be considered for the scholarship you must
- Scholars must be a first-generation student as defined by Loras College (I.e. First-Generation students have parent(s)/guardian(s) that have not complete a 4-year degree).
- Scholars must be a full-time student with one of the following status: First-year student, current Loras College student, transfer student with at least 60 credits left to complete their degree.
- Scholars must agree to fully participate in the First Generation Scholars Program requirements for as long as the award is granted.
- Scholars must maintain good standings with the College, including a minimum GPA of 2.75.
The scholarship is renewable for four academic years of full time study. To renew the scholarship per semester students much:
- Maintain full time status
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress toward degree completion, including a minimum GPA of 2.75.
- Abide by all Loras College policies found in the student handbook
- Represent the college in a positive manner
Disclaimer: Loras College reserves the right to implement changes to the First-Generation Scholars Program per the developmental curriculum and program evaluation plan.