Supporting First-Generation College Students
At Loras College we define first-generation college students as any student that will be the first in their family to complete a 4-year degree. First-generation college students have parents/guardians that have not completed a 4-year degree. We understand the difficulties that first-generation college students face, and we have strategically created a program just for you.
The First-Generation Scholars Program (FGSP) at Loras College offers a scholarship up to $1,500 and strives to support first-generation college students and their families through engagement, communication, study skills, and experiential opportunities. By creating a supportive infrastructure for students and their families, the First-Generation Scholars Program aims to enhance participating students’ overall college experience and to support them in achieving their goal of being the first in their family to complete a college degree.
- Peer and professional mentorship program.
- Professional communication and job-readiness development opportunities.
- Professional financial planning development opportunities.
- Cohort model is used to encourage meaningful connections among first-generation students.
- Receive up to a $1,500 annual scholarship based on financial need. (Awards are renewable with continued program participation)
Criteria to Qualify
- Apply and be admitted to Loras College.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and add Loras College using the school’s code 001873.
- Have demonstrated financial need.
- Neither parent or guardian have completed a 4 year college degree.
- Submit the First Generation Scholars Program application and supporting materials by March 31st. See application process below.
To be considered for the scholarship you must
- Scholars must be a first-generation student as defined by Loras College (I.e. First-Generation college students have parent(s)/guardian(s) that have not complete a 4-year degree).
- Scholars must be an incoming first-time, full-time first-year, or transfer student with at least 60 credits left to complete their degree.
- Scholars must be willing to fully participate in the First Generation Scholars Program and activities for as long as the award is granted.
- Scholars must maintain good standings with the College.
Students selected to be a First Generation Scholar must:
- Agree to attend the Loras College First Generation Scholars Welcome prior to Launch into Loras;
- Agree to participate in 4 years (2 years if transfer student) of progressive and socially challenging programming, campus activities, and career readiness workshops;
- Agree to attend designated meetings with the Director of Intercultural Programs or designee;
- Transition to leadership roles as upperclassman with participation as student leader in the First Generation Scholars Welcome program and potential mentorship role for incoming students;
- Maintain full time status;
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress toward degree completion;
- Abide by all Loras College policies found in the student handbook;
- Represent the college in a positive manner
Disclaimer: Loras College reserves the right to implement changes to the First-Generation Scholar Program per the developmental curriculum and program evaluation plan.