The Launch into Loras program seeks to make critical thinking about values the unifying theme of your experience in and out of the classroom, thereby bringing greater coherence to your undergraduate education and preparing you to develop the skills and dispositions necessary to become principled citizens.
The Launch into Loras program seeks to:
- build more meaningful relationships between students, faculty and staff
- integrate students’ curricular and co-curricular experience
- prepare students to recognize and think critically about values that underlie important social, political, scientific, and professional issues
- encourage students to act on their values
- graduate from Loras College as individuals who are active learners, reflective thinkers, ethical decision makers, and responsible contributors to society.
The Launch into Loras program provides a common curriculum for all participants. Created to support the goals of the summer orientation program, all Launch into Loras sessions offer hands-on experiential learning activities and opportunities for more conceptual, abstract discussions.
Small group meetings held throughout the experience complement the large group experiences and sessions. These meetings are designed to assist you in exploring ideas and issues more fully, as well as ensure a safe place for personal reflection and exploration.
Reflection time is built into the schedule to allow you to reflect on your own values and experiences.
Faculty, staff and student group facilitators participate fully in the Launch into Loras program and actively engage themselves in all scheduled sessions and group activities.
Launch into Loras Objectives
- Convey expectations of membership in the Loras learning community.
- Create a sense of community among participants and create a climate of openness and trust through small group activities.
- Introduce participants to service learning.
- Introduce participants to basic “values vocabulary.”