Supporting Catholic Studies or Religious Studies and Theology Students
The Fides et Ratio scholarship aids students pursuing either a minor in Catholic Studies, or a minor or major in Religious Studies and Theology. The goal of this scholarship is to equip Loras College students with the intellectual background to practice their faith as strong parish leaders following graduation. The scholarships are funded through the generosity of Paul (’60) and Frances Breitbach.
$2500 per academic year or $1250 per semester is awarded in addition to merit aid.
Supporting Academic Programs
The Catholic Studies minor is multidisciplinary in character, including not only theology but history, politics, social studies, philosophy, literature, the arts, and science. Catholic Studies provides a broad introduction to the Catholic heritage which can enrich the Loras experience, no matter what major a student pursues. It is a study of Catholicism in its intellectual, historical, social, and cultural dimensions. 21 credits.
The Religious Studies and Theology major and minor emphasizes three areas of study: theological studies, biblical studies, and moral studies. By taking courses in these topics, students learn to identify theological approaches to key concepts, themes, and practices of religious life. In addition, students gain skills in researching and theologically interpreting religious beliefs and practices within the contemporary world. The major is 34 credits and concludes with either a thesis or practicum. The minor is 18 credits.
- First year, sophomore, and junior students are eligible for the scholarship the semester following their declaration of either a minor in Catholic Studies or a minor or major in Religious Studies and Theology.
- Students should be enrolled in a course that fulfills their declared program’s requirements either the semester they declare or the semester following declaration.
- Students in the Breitbach Catholic Thinkers and Leaders program are not eligible as their program and accompanying scholarship already requires a Catholic Studies minor.
Requirements for Maintaining Eligibility:
Scholarship funds are disbursed at the start of the fall and spring semesters. To remain eligible, students must:
- Meet once a semester with a faculty advisor to discuss their course of study, how they are applying what they are learning through co-curricular involvement, and how they are planning to serve the church following graduation.
- Maintain a GPA of at least 2.5 for courses taken for the major/minor.
- Make progress in attaining the minor or major with no more than one semester without coursework towards the degree.
- After completion of the required coursework, students remain eligible to receive the scholarship until they graduate.