St. Cecilia Scholarship
Loras College is offering music scholarship auditions just for you! Students accepted to Loras College are able to audition for vocal and instrumental scholarships. Scholarships range from $500—$3,000. Scholarship recipients must participate in vocal or instrumental ensembles annually to maintain their award. Auditions will be submitted electronically. Student auditions will be reviewed beginning December 1 with subsequent audition reviews occurring after March 1. Students participating in Liturgical Music Ministry are eligible for a scholarship to cover their applied lesson fee.
- Open to all majors
- Provides instant membership in a creative, contributing community on campus
- Students should prepare two music selections, contrasting in genre
- Instrumentalists and vocalists will be expected to play or sing scale
- Informal conversation with music faculty
- Instrumental Requirements
- Play two contrasting solo pieces or excerpts of solo pieces. These should be chosen from the solo repertoire for your instrument and should not be ensemble pieces. Each piece or excerpt should be approximately 2 to 5 minutes in length. Accompaniment is recommended but not required.
- Play the following SCALES
- MAJOR scales on F (2 octaves), C (one octave), G (2 ctaves), and D-flat (one octave)
- HARMONIC MINOR scales (one octave only) on d, a, e, and b-flat
- A full-range CHROMATIC SCALE is recommended but not required.
- Vocal Requirements
- Sing two solo pieces (or excerpts of solo pieces) in contrasting styles (e.g., an art song and a musical theater solo). These should be chosen from the solo repertoire for voice type and should not be choral pieces. Each piece or excerpt should be approximately 2 to 5 minutes in length. Accompaniment is recommended but not required.
- Sing the following SCALES
- MAJOR scale in one octave. Singing on solfege or scale degrees (i.e. Do, Re, Mi, etc. or 1, 2, 3, etc.) is recommended but not required.
- HARMONIC MINOR scale in either La- or Do-based minor
Scholarship participants must: Participate in one of Loras’ credited musical ensembles Demonstrate adequate musical progress Maintain a minimum 2.8 GPA
Fr. Wilkie Liturgical Music Scholarship
Scholarship recipients must: Participate in two campus liturgies/celebrations each semester Participate in applied lessons with faculty Demonstrate adequate musical progress Maintain character values in accordance with the Catholic Identity of Loras College Maintain a minimum 2.8 GPA