DUBUQUE, Iowa – Loras College will host its fifth annual Business Analytics Symposium, the largest of its kind in Iowa, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Thursday, April 6 at the Grand River Center, 500 Bell St. in the Port of Dubuque. The conference entitled Analytics in Action explores how organizations can use data to turn performance and ideas into innovation while prominent practitioners share case studies, compare best practices, and find solutions to common problems.
“The application of business analytics touches every industry,” said Rich Clayton, vice president of Business Analytics Product Group at Oracle Corp., facilitator for the event’s MBA Panel and a Loras alumnus. “In today’s world of Internet marketing, data warehousing as well as data and text mining, knowledge of analytics is essential for an organization’s initial and long-term success.”
The symposium begins with morning keynote speaker Neil Raden, founder of Hired Brains, Inc., a research and advisory firm in Santa Barbara, California. The firm offers research and analysis services to technology providers and venture capitalists as well as providing consulting and implementation services in business intelligence and analytics to numerous Global 2000 companies. Raden has more than 30 years of experience in the analytical aspects of information technology.
The afternoon features a presentation by the Sedgwick Analytics Division. Sedgwick is the leading North American provider of innovative, technology-enabled claims and productivity management solutions, delivering expert resources to a diverse client base through nearly 15,000 colleagues in 275 offices located in the Unites States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Ireland.
Attendees can also join breakout sessions covering different aspects of doing business.
- Jay Wickham, executive director of the Small Business Development Center in Dubuque and StartUp Dubuque, will provide insight into operating a small business.
- Joni Wallace, manager of information technology, business intelligence and advances analytics at Rockwell Collins, will speak on manufacturing.
- Travis Turnball, senior information technology manager at Pella Corp., and John McConeghey, manager of information technology, will deliver best practices on customer experience.
- Betsy McVay, vice president and chief analytics officer at UnityPoint Health, will speak on analytics in the health care industry.
- Dave Pooley, vice president at the Peleton Group, Oregon, will speak on modern digital finance.
ABOUT LORAS COLLEGE
Loras leverages its historic roots as Iowa’s first college, the second oldest Catholic college west of the Mississippi River and one of the nation’s 10 diocesan institutions to deliver challenging, life-changing experiences as part of its residential, Catholic setting. Loras ranks among 450 NCAA Division III athletic programs in Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup standings, 11th out of the Top 100 baccalaureate colleges, according to the 2016 Washington Monthly College Rankings, 13th Best Regional College, according to Midwest U.S. News Best Colleges and is among the 200 Best-Loved Colleges in the nation, according to Forbes Magazine.