DUBUQUE, Iowa – Loras College will host its fifth annual Duhawk Day on Thursday, May 18. The 24-hour event pays tribute to the College’s address, 1450 Alta Vista St., which Duhawks have called their “home away from home” for more than 175 years. Appropriately, this year’s goal is once again 1,450 donors.
Duhawk Day is an annual, worldwide celebration to welcome the newest group of alumni, unite Duhawks around the world and to share spirit, pride, and support for Loras. Last year, alumni, students, faculty, staff and friends of Loras College surpassed the 1,450-donor goal by achieving 1,465 donors in 24 hours. The effort’s success included donations from 265 students and gifts from 41 states.
“Duhawk Day is focused on spirit and passion for Loras College! Last year the response was overwhelming and I am confident that we will once again achieve and surpass our goal of 1,450 donors this year. What a way to celebrate and honor our newest group of Duhawk graduates, the Class of 2017,” said Mike Doyle, a 1991 graduate of Loras and vice president for institutional advancement. “It has become a great tradition that is simply spectacular.”
To mark the five-year anniversary of Duhawk Day, the College has highlighted five ways alumni can celebrate, unite and support Loras.
1. Wear their favorite purple and gold.
2. Take a picture with their family, co-workers, friends or selfie and post it to social media using #DuhawkDay.
3. Share on social media the many reasons why they love Loras.
4. Email and text their Duhawk friends to wish them a Happy Duhawk Day and meet up with them at an event.
5. Remember to be one of the 1,450 donors to help the College reach its donor goal. Every gift, no matter the size, will count toward the 1450 donor goal.
In addition, Loras is celebrating with 15 events across the country. On campus, breakfast and coffee will be served at Einstein Bros. Bagels from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m., lunch in the Pub, a Mass held in Christ the King Chapel at noon and a Duhawk Day Social will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. in the Loras College Pub in the Alumni Campus Center (ACC). Updates will be posted throughout the day on the Loras College Alumni Facebook Page.