DUBUQUE, Iowa – Loras College Communication Arts students currently planning post-graduation jobs or summer internships are invited to “Interviewing and Networking for Communication Arts Majors”, an interactive workshop. Students attending can learn the steps needed that will assist in securing a career with a communication arts degree.
This year’s workshop is scheduled for Thursday, March 14, from 4-6 p.m. in the Marie Graber Ballroom of the Alumni campus Center. The event is open to the public and registration is not required, however the content presented will be specific to communication arts students.
As part of the presentation, the hands-on workshop will share what to do before, during and after a job interview while also providing tips on how to improve profiles on social media, as they relate to networking. At the conclusion of the event, attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions of the panelists.
Those attending are encouraged to bring a laptop to complete exercises that will help polish online profile (i.e. LinkedIn), improve networking skills and help find a job related to communication arts program.
This year’s workshop is presented under the sponsorship of the Loras College Communication Arts Department and Professor of Communication Arts/Director of LCTV Studio Craig Schaefer (’89), the Women’s Leadership Alliance and the Loras College Alumni Office.
Five Loras communication arts alumni will share advice and experience:
• Beth Mund (’96), is a professional keynote speaker and host of the Casual Space podcast. Her speeches and workshops compare innovations in space exploration to business opportunities. She held communication roles at NASA Johnson Space Center, Allstate, and United Airlines. (Loras College, B.A. Journalism, Public Relations; Marquette University, M.A. Journalism)
• Meg Bucaro (’98) is a strategic communication coach, keynote speaker and adjunct college speech instructor. She trains professionals to communicate with comfort and confidence. Her keynotes are welcomed at associations and industry conferences. (Loras College, B.A. Public Relations, Spanish; Northern Illinois Univ., M.A. Communications)
• Penny Gralewski (’96) is a software marketing strategist. She has held a variety of marketing roles at tech startups and large global software firms. She creates compelling messages so buyers understand how technology can help achieve business goals. (Loras College, B.A. Journalism, English Literature, Honors Program)
• Anna Johnson (’18) is a Social Media Account Manager/Creative Strategist at Fourge Social. Through her work at a social media agency, she helps clients tell their unique story. She creates and executes social media strategies that include text, visual content, custom videos, and advertising for a variety of customers. (Loras College, B.A. Public Relations)
• Allison Wong (’17) is a reporter for the Dubuque bureau of ABC affiliate KCRG-TV. She is the local on-air talent, plus creates end-to-end segments: shooting, editing, writing and social media posting. She is recognized with multiple broadcast journalism awards. (Loras College, B.A. Media Studies)
“Alumni want to help you find a job or internship,” Mund said. “We expect to you to be the best representative for Loras as you are reaching out to potential employers.”
As a founding member of the Loras College Women’s Leadership Alliance and current Board Member, Mund was the inaugural speaker of the group’s keynote series in 2017. After the event, many students contacted her for help. “The challenge that it is not traditionally part of your coursework to really learn how to present yourself when looking for a position. There’s always room for improvement.”
“Communication arts students probably have the most pressure to interview well and effectively communicate when networking,” Bucaro said, who was a Women’s Leadership Alliance keynote speaker in 2018. “Because communication is part of the job, these majors are expected to be the full package.”
Contact the Communication Arts department with questions about the workshop.