RENOVATIONS TO KEANE HALL’S FRONT ENTRYWAY HIGHLIGHT ONGOING CAMPUS UPDATES
When President Jim Collins (’84) cut the ribbon to officially open the new entryway to Keane Hall this past May, it marked the completion of the latest phase of updates to the 106-year-old campus icon
“We want to retain the architecture while simultaneously meeting modern-day demands,” Collins said. “It serves as the first and last place where an individual has an impression of the institution. We really want this to represent what Loras is all about: community. It is now a space where all can gather, whether they are living here on campus or coming to visit.”
The most noticeable aspect of this phase is the modified entryway, from which the front steps were removed in favor of a ground-level entrance, making the building more accessible to visitors. A new centrally located elevator now runs to all levels of Keane.Inside the new entrance, the first and second floors were overhauled to allow for more natural lighting and to take advantage of the building’s views of Dubuque and the Mississippi River Valley.
The building also received landscaping improvements to improve accessibility and aesthetics. While these updates were being made, so too was a $1M investment in deferred maintenance to update the electrical distribution system, which affects all buildings on campus.
Built in 1913 and formerly known as Loras Hall, Keane Hall originally included a combination of classrooms and offices, as well as 156 rooms for students and faculty. It also featured a chapel, a bowling alley, a gymnasium and a recreation room in the basement. In 1939, the building was renamed Keane Hall for two former archbishops of Dubuque and chancellors of the college – Most Rev. John Joseph Keane and Most Rev. James John Keane.
When President Jim Collins (’84) cut the ribbon to officially open the new entryway to Keane Hall this past May, it marked the completion of the latest phase of updates to the 106-year-old campus icon.Students, alumni and community members joined President Jim Collins (’84) for the dedication of the new Keane Hall entryway.In May 2005, the building ceased to serve as a dormitory for the first time in 90 years, and in 2017, a full renovation of the third floor to the home of the new Francis J. Noonan School of Business was completed.
The latest updates to Keane were made possible thanks to the generosity of many donors, including the Class of 1968.
Plans are in the works to renovate the fourth and fifth floors. The updated fourth floor will look similar to the third, with new offices and classrooms, while the fifth floor will be home to the President’s Office as well as provide accommodations for visitors to campus.
Keane Hall is not the only building to undergo improvements. St. Joseph Science Hall received a new roof and updated lab space for the fall, while the Athletic & Wellness Center now boasts a newly-updated court for basketball and volleyball, as well as new powerlifting platforms in the weight room.
The Loras Parkway retaining wall has been rebuilt and the road will reopen this fall.
Both baseball and softball fields are also seeing necessary updates. Petrakis Park has had the infield laser leveled and new sod was placed around the dugouts and basepaths for easier field maintenance. The outfield of the Faber-Clark Softball field was re-graded to enhance drainage.
Through the generosity and support of alumni, Loras continues to make campus updates to remain a vital resource for students now and in the future.