Creating an atmosphere where faith, scholarship and creativity can seamlessly connect.
Among the fruits of the Holy Spirit, occasions of joy that transcend human planning and performances affirm the presence of a God who does not remain far off, but forever with us. We value the integration of the material and the spiritual through creative rituals for prayer and celebration. Proclamation of God’s saving activity in Christ is joined with gratitude for the avenues opened at Loras to pursue life passions. We celebrate moments all along the way in order to bless one another and magnify our sense of solidarity and wonder for all God does for us and through us.
- Large Community Gatherings honor student and faculty accomplishments: Student Awards and Recognition Luncheon; the Legacy Symposium; faculty and staff recognition receptions; and the “Last Lecture” event at the end of the year where a retiring faculty member is charged with sharing a “last lecture” reflection.
- Weddings of Loras alumni, faculty and staff are celebrated in Christ the King Chapel, and marriage preparation provides an additional sacramental ministry connection with the larger Loras community.
- As a visible Expression of our Faith community sending forth its members to serve the world, the service trip Commissioning Prayer takes place within the context of the Mass before each academic break as a sign that our faith is the root of our service to the world.
- The resounding “Chariots of Fire” theme fills the Rock Bowl stadium as the Sports Camp Olympic ceremonies open and close the celebration of the week’s accomplishments each summer session of Loras All-Sports Camp.
- The Liturgical Music Program and the Fr. Wilkie Liturgical Music Fund support and sponsor the worship experience at Loras and the development of trained liturgical ministers who upon graduation are capable of taking up active roles in the Archdiocese of Dubuque and beyond.
- The Dewey Awards Banquet for student athletes happens in the spring of each year, in addition to specific team celebrations of accomplishments.
- Families and graduates of the Breitbach Catholic Thinkers and Leaders Program and the Honors Program gather for special receptions in conjunction with the graduation festivities to celebrate their formation and scholarship, adding to the larger Loras community’s joy, thanksgiving, and sense of new beginnings expressed in our Baccalaureate Mass and Commencement ceremony.
- Loras Celebrates Graduates (including second-degree pre-theologians) as they are ordained priests for Dubuque and other dioceses.
- As part of the National Catholic Schools Week celebration, Loras College hosts an on-campus reception for teachers and staff from the local Holy Family Catholic School system.
- Transcending language and poverty barriers, and uniting in the joy of service, Loras students annually provide joy-filled Easter egg hunt experiences for children in the Honduras APUFRAM school communities.
“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior. The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name.” Luke 1:46-47