Sorry, Registration for our Spring Leaders Scholarship Competition is now CLOSED
We are very excited for our Spring Leaders Scholarship Competition on Sunday, February 17, 2019. This competition welcomes students who want to strengthen their leadership skills during their college years, particularly through engagement with the campus and Dubuque communities. Throughout the event, participants will have the opportunity to collaborate with current and future Loras College students. There is also specific programming designed for parents to deepen their knowledge of the opportunities available to their student through the Loras experience.
Below are some detailed notes and reminders as well as an overview of the schedule for the day. Hosting our event on a Sunday maximizes the number of participants that are able to attend. We recognize, however, that this may impact your family’s ability to worship together. For your convenience, we have included a resource at the bottom of this site that includes a link to local Catholic Mass times as well as a comprehensive listing of worship opportunities for other faith traditions. Otherwise, safe travels and we look forward to seeing you on campus!
If you need any additional details or have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Overview of the Scholarship Assessment
- Scholarship awards (renewable annually) will range from $250 to full tuition.
- Students will be assessed based on the following three items:
- The activity resume that will be submitted at check-in
- The group activity assessment that will be completed the day of the event
- The post-event reflection that will be submitted following the event (we will send the reflection questions to the students on Monday, February 18, 2019 and students will have one week to complete the reflection questions.)
Overview of the Event
- Students are invited to bring one guest with them to this event.
- Check-in starts at 10:00am and the program will officially start at 10:30am. Coffee and water will be provided, but you are more than welcome to stop by Einstein Bros. Bagels which is adjacent to our Alumni Campus Center. (Einstein Bros. Bagels on campus will be opening at 7:00am.)
- The event runs from approximately 10:30am until 2:30pm (with lunch starting at 1:00pm). You will receive your individual schedule upon checking-in on Sunday.
- Don’t forget to bring a printed copy of your activity resume to submit at the check-in. This resume will be part of the scholarship assessment. View a sample activity resume template.
- Visit our campus map and directions page for driving instructions and a campus map.
- Dress is business casual (there will be a group activity with some movement, so make sure to dress comfortably.)
- The Loras College Barnes & Noble Bookstore – located outside our Academic Resource Center (ARC) – will be open from 1:30-3:30pm on Sunday if you would like to stock up on some Loras gear. We are offering a coupon for 25% off one item for scholarship attendees.
- If you’re looking to spend the night in Dubuque, there are many options, and the Best Western Midway provides a special rate for Loras visitors (reference promo code ‘Loras#1’ while booking your room). They can be reached at 563.557.8000 to book a room.
10:00am-10:30am Check-In Alumni Campus Center (ACC)
Parking is located at the corner of Loras Boulevard and Alta Vista Street
Students & Parents will then be divided into smaller groups in order to engage more meaningfully in each component of the day.
11:00am- 2:30pm Breakout Sessions and Lunch (Order will vary/See details below) Students
Financial Planning Q&A
2:30pm Campus Tour (optional)
This session allows participating students and their parents to attend short, student-led sessions that will showcase how current students involved in specific organizations have personally and professionally grown through their work. Students and parents will have an opportunity to choose three of the six options. This will provide an opportunity for current Loras students to share how their involvement in a specific activity has stretched them and invited them to grow.
Students will have the opportunity to collaborate with their peers through a small group activity led by Loras College Campus Life. This activity will allow students to highlight their leadership strengths while also providing an opportunity for students to engage with others.
During lunch, students will return to their small groups to complete the assessment portion of the day. Students will have the opportunity to both critically and creatively reflect on what they have learned throughout the day.
Parent Panel (parents & guardians only)
Parents will have the opportunity to hear from parents of current Loras students. The panel will provide plenty of time for questions and individual interaction. This session is hosted by Student Development.
Financial Planning Q & A (parents & guardians only)
A representative from Loras College’s Financial Planning Office will share the financial aid process and timeline at Loras. There will also be time for parents and guardians to ask questions.